Monday, June 21, 2010

Thing 21

The Hanalee Wiki has inspired me to create my own wiki for novel studies. I was impressed with the amount of information posted on the wiki. I think the students really dove into this book and walked away with a clear understanding of what it was like during the civil war.

The biggest hurdle for me would be to only do this with one book and the entire class. I do not feel confident in trying to create 4 different wikis, based on 4 different books, for 4 different groups, at the same time. I would have to have my class read the same book at the same time. I would have the book available on tape for my students who struggle with reading and I could also break my class into partners so one could help the other. I think this is the spark my Literature Circles need. I am going to try this in the fall. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Starting a Wiki for Lit will be exciting for you and your students. It does seem better to start off with one book. Your ideas to have books on tape for struggling students will help. If you decide to do more than one book later, maybe each group would have different assignments. You could then alternate groups for the next cycle. Maybe one group would use the Wiki, one would blog,one or two could do something else.
    Would this be something to share for August PD?

    ReplyDelete